Wednesday, January 27, 2021

2 Favorite Things: Books & Libraries

2 Favorite Things: Books & Libraries

I've been an avid reader for most of my life. When I was in grammar school, I ran away from home a few times. Less than an hour later, my mom would walk in to the local library branch and find me. The library was my home away from home. 

Libraries are still special to me, a place where I can choose to enter other people's stories to find adventure. Like many people, my life routine is working from home during the day, and working on my jewelry business most nights and weekends. And, Netflix, of course, but that's another story.  

When COVID-19 first hit, I was grateful that my library still offered drive-thru service. I reserve books, and pick up and return about once a week. While recovering from foot surgery in November, the library offered home delivery and pick up service, and I was (and am) so thrilled. I don't have room to store any more books; they're in bookshelves, on end tables and nightstands, and in piles around the house. The library helps me reduce my book clutter, if there is such a thing ... lol 

This is the latest haul that I finished from the library. I mostly read fiction. (Sorry it's fuzzy, I snapped it with my cellphone. I have a benign familiar tremor that makes my hands shake.)

Books

The most surprising book was "Sin in the Second City," about the red light district and corruption in Chicago in the 1900s. Growing up in Chicago, I wasn't surprised about the "Chicago Machine," and it was interesting to read about the women and men who owned brothels, and the inner political workings going on at the time. 

I also designed a few wire bookmarks, but I'm not sure if I'm going to sell them. I might, if there's enough interest. 

Star of David Bookmark


 

I travel infrequently, but when I do, I try to stop at libraries and/or bookstores in other cities, if I have time. I've been to libraries and bookstores in Manhattan, New York, and Tom's River, New Jersey, (and rock shops) in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, New Mexico, San Francisco, San Jose, and Los Angeles, California, too. 

A few of my favorite authors are:
  • James Patterson 
  • Stephen King 
  • Elin Hilderbrand 
  • Mary Higgins Clark 
  • Nora Roberts, and 
  • Jenny Colgan, new newest find

A friend suggested a Facebook Group for books and I'm glad to explore new authors. 

The last book I purchased is "The Women's Torah Commentary."  First, I read the library's copy and then I wanted my own. 

The Women's Torah Commentary



Follow and pin from my Pinterest boards, Lustworthy Libraries and Books, Etc

Your turn: I'd love to hear the authors and types of books you read. What's the last book you read and recommend? 






8 comments:

  1. I'm an avid reader, too and am always trading out books with an avid reader friends. Unfortunately our libraries are closed . . . GRRRRR. Miss going to the second hand book store that supports the libraries. I read a wide range, mostly non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiction for me, I like to have adventures in the story that I won't have.

      Sorry, your library is closed. Stay safe.

      Delete
  2. I love to read also, however nowadays I use the computer a lot, if I need to research I will go to google, wikipedia, or other place of information and check for it. I have lots of knit, crochet books. When I was living in Texas, 10 years ago, thru the mail I bought a lot of Harlequin books in Spanish. I became bi-lingual in English watching talk-shows and TV programs only in English, and reading The National Enquirer, Globe and Star, it took me 6 months, that was 32 years ago. All day I am doing my stuff, at the end of the day I need to relax, I do it playing in my Ipad and filling word fill in books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, since I work on the computer all day and use it for my business, at night, I like to read books and get off the screen.

    ReplyDelete

Happy Passover

Happy Passover!  I hope that this year, we all reflect on the freedoms we have and express our gratitude to HaShem.  Check out this You Tube...