Tuesday, October 8, 2024

High Holidays: Living with the Bitter and the Sweet

Shana Tovah! 

The days from Rosh Hashanah to Yom Kippur are filled with introspection, and spiritual renewal.

I had written a different email to send out, but words from my rabbis (from Romemu Synagogue) on Rosh HaShanah blew me away, and I'd like to share some with you. Note that any misinterpretation or errors are on my part and not theirs.

Since Oct. 7, we're caught in between celebrating the New Year with joy and the horrible atrocities happening in Israel and around the world. "We realize how precious, short, and fragile life truly is; and that it could be over in an instant." 

Rabbi Dianne suggested we pay attention to the story of Abraham and Isaac in the Akedah and the different names for G-d. At first, G-d is called "Ha Elohim" commanding strict judgment. Later, "Adonai YHVY" or compassion is used. We must listen closely for the (the angel's ) softer voice telling Abraham to stop and not kill Isaac. After this Abraham and Isaac don't speak again.It shatters the family, and Sarah dies soon after. 

Holiday Aprons


Jewish liturgy links the ram’s horn (shofar) blown on Rosh Hashanah to the ram that Abraham offered in place of Isaac and sees the sounding of the shofar as a way to remind God of Abraham’s total obedience and to pardon Abraham’s descendants on the basis of his great merit. 

Do we choose to listen to the harsh voices of judgments of political leaders and celebrities that divide us or listen to the still, small voice of Adonai? Years ago, I learned about the need to be quiet and listen to G-d's still, small voice instead of yelling at each other and often I forget (my thought). 

Rabbi David suggests we become unified "Am Yisrael B'yachad" to be together and focus on something bigger that unites us. We were invited to imagine the shofar as a narrow constricting place of the tunnels of Gaza, where our people are being held against their will. We were invited to blow air into that space, to fill it up to set them free. My lungs are tired from blowing my air. I hope that you'll join me in blowing air into that narrow space to bring our hostages home (if only it were that easy). 

Shabbat napkins 


Breast Cancer 


I'm grateful for my 9th year as a breast cancer survivor. 

Sukkot starts Oct. 16



My heart is heavy for all the tsuris that Israelis and Americans are facing daily. I pray that G-d gives us all strength and courage for the New Year. 

As Jews, we're already used to experiencing "both the honey and the sting" simultaneously.

I pray that, in the New Year, the sting lessens and that the honey spreads over our lives with joy, peace, health, and prosperity. 

May we all be written and sealed in the book of Life in 5785 and may G-d give us all peace, strength, and courage to live our lives as fully as we can. 

I pray that we are all written and sealed in the Book of Life. Good Yom Tov! ✡️




No comments:

Post a Comment

High Holidays: Living with the Bitter and the Sweet

Shana Tovah!  The days from Rosh Hashanah to Yom Kippur are filled with introspection, and spiritual renewal. I had written a different emai...