Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Reflection, Renewal, and Repentance for Rosh HaShanah

Reflection Renewal and Repentance for Rosh HaShanah

It's a reflective time for Jewish people prior to the High Holy Days: known as Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur.





Reflection

In the days leading up to Rosh HaShanah, we take inventory of our past year, our actions, and our behaviors toward G-d and other people. 




We ask to be inscribed in the Book of Life.

Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and the 10 days in-between known as Aseret Yamei Teshuvah (the “10 Days of Repentance”) gift us with an annual opportunity for renewal and self-discovery. More important than asking God to bless us with a positive inscription is the need for us to open our hearts and bless ourselves with optimism and the possibility of life-affirming changes in the coming year.” (Rabbi Matthew Berkowitz,  A Taste of Torah) 

Renewal

Each day, we add Psalm 27 to our morning and afternoon prayers. Here are my favorite parts:

The Lord is my light and my salvation—

    whom shall I fear?

The Lord is the stronghold of my life—

    of whom shall I be afraid? 

For in the day of trouble

    he will keep me safe in his dwelling;

he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent

    and set me high upon a rock.

Hope in the Lord and  be strong 

Take courage, hope in the Lord. 


Repentence

Spiritual cleansing and new beginnings are available to us for the Jewish New Year. 

We strive to:
  • Evaluate how we can be better people in our actions and behaviors
  • Return to HaShem (G-d) to receive blessings in our life
  • Seek forgiveness from friends and family before going to G-d
Wishing you a Happy, Healthy, and Sweet New Year. 




6 comments:

  1. Lovely post Happy Healthy New Year to you and thanks for including my card

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for including my cards Linda. I have shared your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including my napkins.

    With all that is going on in the world, wishing you, yours, and the rest of the world a Happy and Healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Happy Passover

Happy Passover!  I hope that this year, we all reflect on the freedoms we have and express our gratitude to HaShem.  Check out this You Tube...